PETITION TO DE-PRIVATISE DURBAN TRANSPORT – PUT PUBLIC TRANSPORT UNDER PUBLIC CONTROL
Public transport is a issue that has a big impact on the lives of working class South Africans. Many people spend a significant part of their wages sometimes 25% of more on buses & taxis. Therefore the development of a effective public transport system can play a major role in improving the lives of the people of Durban.
The privatization of transport in Durban has proved to be a unmitigated disaster, yet we are told that this insane experiment is to continue.
The Socialist Green Coalition asks you to help us fight for proper public transport in Durban by signing this petition.
* Durban Transport to be placed under control of the transport workers with public oversight.
* No to profits out of the starvation wages of workers, transport system to concentrate of providing cheap safe transport & maximizing employment opportunities.
* Research into the use efficient electric and hybrid busses.
* ‘Integrate buses, taxis, and bicycles routes.
* Proper regulation of taxis & private buses & the introduction of minimum wages.